docs.lily.org from December 1998
This is an archival version of docs.lily.org from December 1998. The current site is at lilycore.sf.net.
- lily is an interactive Computer Mediated Communications (CMC) server.
- Essentially, this means that it allows people at different places to talk to each other
- lily is a real communication tool.
- It was, and continues to be, designed and developed - with real people in mind. The
initial goal was to improve online, real-time, communication between individuals and
groups of people.
- lily is flexible.
- An equally important secondary development goal of the project was to provide
flexibility to programmers to experiment, accommodate and adapt lily under a wide variety
of methods and formats for communication
- lily is freedom of choice.
- lily supports both personal and professional communication and it does so without one
type interfering with the other.
While the initial goals for the project have been met, the development continues. We're
always looking for ways to improve on its ease of use - of ways to help foster and
facilitate interactive communication by and between real people.
The most current lilyCore server and database are available from lily.acm.rpi.edu. The key files are lilyCore.db.gz and moo.tar.gz. In order to stay
current, please read the Release Notes.
Webmaster / lily Development Group / 30