Okay, thanks to Atup (bp@RPI) I got to play arround with a SOLARIS machine.
It was hard, tracking down all sorts of random things, but I think I
nailed it for good. Please get the latest version and see how it goes
for you. Notice that all the solaris definitions are already set, and they
should stay that way...
1) get new version (same place and same name as before)
2) gunzip, untar...
3) cd readline and ./configure
4) if you want to use gcc, notice that the readline script is wrong, and will
insist on using cc anyway; edit the file Makefile.in (in the readline
directory, and above the line that starts with CFLAGS = ..., insert the
CC = gcc
5) make site specific adjustments in Make.config in the lily directory
6) from the lily directory, type make.
7) sacrify a lamb, and you have the client running...
Please let me know how it turns out.
-- Nancy Deschenes email@example.com